My name is Shlomo.
I am a food addict and compulsive overeater.
All my previous steps shares are on the WTS website http://www.therecoverygroup.org/wts/2008 Fourth quarter. Seems that some of you who are way behind stopped writing, or stopped doing the step assignments. I suggest you continue even when your pace is much slower than the pace of the workshop. You can always continue after the workshop with your sponsor since all the step shares will be on the website. The 12 steps are a package deal. We have to do all of them to recover. As the Big Book says: "Half measures availed us nothing" page 59.
Step Eleven: "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with GOD AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."
Let us get to the assignments.
1. Step eleven says that in order to improve our conscious contact with God we should pray only for knowledge of his will and the power to carry that out. Mark and copy the prayers on pages 13, 14, 63, 67, 68, 69, 70, 75, 76, 84, 85. Remember that any turning to God is a prayer. That includes asking and expressing gratitude. Reflect on the conformity of each prayer with what is said in step eleven. Share with us.
2. Read the Big Book pages 85-86 "Much has already been said... Definite and valuable suggestions."
Mark the sentences that resonate with you. Pay special attention to the following: we began to develop the sixth sense, it works if we work at it. Reflect and share with us.
3. Step eleven says that prayer is just one part of our contact with God. The other part is meditation. If prayer is asking, than meditation is listening to the answer. Read the Big Book pages 86-87: " In thinking about our day...Make use of what they have to offer." This section deals with the use of prayer and meditation on a daily basis. Mark the sentences that resonate with you. Pay attention to the following: the prayers, the relaxation and meditation, the way we get answers in meditation, daily practice improves contact, awareness of inappropriate prayers, selfish prayers, different possibilities for choosing prayers. Reflect and share with us.
4. Read step eleven in the A.A 12&12.
Mark the sentences that resonate with you. Pay attention to the following: The benefits of regular use of prayer and meditation, highest benefits derived by integrating self examination and prayer and meditation, an example of a special prayer (Saint Francis prayer), example of contemplative meditation on this prayer, example of creative visualization (constructive imagination) in relaxation and meditation, the object is always to improve our conscious contact with God, caution about inappropriate prayers, caution about assuming we know what is God's will for others, awards of meditation and prayer. Reflect and share with us.
5. Read step eleven in the OA 12&12.
Mark the sentences that resonate with you. Reflect and share with us.
The Twelve Steps
© Copyright 1995 ~ 2008 THE RECOVERY GROUP All rights reserved