From OA's "For Today" March 28.:
On action alone by thy interest,
Never on its fruits.
Why am I still obsessed with weight? Iím abstaining; Iím trying to work the steps: but I canít give up the scale. Iím terrified to stop the constant monitoring of my weight. What if I gain? How will I know it if I donít weigh?
The problem is, Iím trying to work this program without giving up control. But is that possible? The first three steps make it clear that those who wrote them, and millions who followed, proved they could only recover by letting a Power outside themselves regulate their unmanageable lives.
If I say I have faith in a Higher Power, I can take the next step and turn my weight over to that Power. I can concentrate on taking the action - abstaining and working the steps - and leave the results to God.
For today: If I stop "supervising" my weight loss, it will be taken care of, in Godsí time. I pray for the willingness to do that.
- Open your diary/notebook and write the step 2 sentence.
- We came to believe.. What do you believe in today? Do you have religion, or a self-described higher power, do you believe in beauty, goodness? Please describe what you believe in.
- Do you think that the fellowship of OA can and will help you?
- Do you think that your Higher Power can and will help you?
- Describe for us your God, or HP?
- What can he/she/it do, and what can he/she/it not do?
After answering these questions shortly in your diary, please read the following; If you think itís too much, go fast through it, donít skip reading. You may find your safety belt for life.
BB: Bills story + BB: There is a solution "We came to believe.."
BB: More about alcoholism + BB: We agnostics ".. restore us to sanity"
OA: Step 2
(AA: Step 2)
Listen to one speaker of your own choice:
While reading, take 3 colours of your own choice (the same as you used in last step).
1. colour underline everything that you recognize in yourself,
2. colour underline everything that you find important, and
3. colour underline everything that you can die from.
(Donít bother about the words alcoholic or alcohol, read compulsive overeater/compulsive undereater and food instead. It is the same disease. If you are not yet agree with me, try and wait and see if it may change in time.)
Daily exercise for diary:
Write a list of everything you are grateful over today! Everything! Small ones and big ones - you will learn to be grateful and humble, and look for everything positive from now on, and stop expecting perfection. This is an exercise to slow down our ego-self centered disease of addiction.
Keep writing the daily powerless list AND the grateful list every day.
Also food report if you sponsor suggest it -
Talk to your sponsor everyday!
If you think you have "nothing to say", write her/him anyway!
Pray 5 minutes every morning
Listen 5 minutes every morning (meditation)
If you find time, read a little poem from the "for today" or from the BB, a few sentences to take with you through the day.
Pray and thank every night for your abstinence and continued help.
Put all your problems in HPs basket, and go to sleep, innocent as a child.
Are you abstinent today? Please tell us, so we can cheer and be grateful and happy for you.
"My name is Ronald, I am a compulsive overeater, and I am abstinent today".
If you are not abstinent today, put down the food as you read this, and type your e-mail: tell us,
"My name is Belinda, and I am abstinent right now".
Think about what that really means. We are abstinent right now, at this moment as you read. That is all it takes. We will help you to NOT pick up again. Come to the TRG online meetings asap.
Please definite and share with us your definition of your higher power. How you came to know each other, and how this is helping you.
Summary questions for the loop:
- Are you able to admit that you are not the director of your life?
- Are you willing to believe that you can not control your life, or others?
- Are you ready to be relieved with help, strength and love from others? Honestly? If not are you ready to ask for willingness to be ready?
- Do you understand that you were born innocent? And perfect? And therefore also ARE perfect today?
- Can you accept that your higher power consists only of LOVE?
- Can you be willing to start loving and caring for yourself, as you would for your best friend or child?
- Do you approve that you are not what you eat, and you are not your weight?
- Describe the hope you feel coming to OA, or doing this study.
- Are you still embarrassed to admit we have acted insanely in our eating, thinking or acting upon food? If so, tell us why.
- How do you see your thinking and acting change when restored upon sanity?
- Do you think your higher power, the 12 steps, the meetings, your group, your sponsor, program buddies, telephone, big book, a plan of eating, prayer and meditation and I, can help you to act differently?
- Are you ready to start praying on daily basis? You may pray in any way you want to, as long as you honestly open your heart for communication with a loving, caring, higher power, who can and will help you. When you feel this contact in your heart, donít leave it, but take God with you all day, in all your matters. In your car, to the shop, everywhere. If you do not feel no contact, keep on praying and asking for it. It is your willingness to open that will open the contact, because God is already in your heart. Already installed. You were born with this ability.
- Many of us fear, or have feared God, if so - do you fear God today?
- Are you willing to change your new understanding of a higher power/HP, God/dog/Gomu whatever word you use - for the better - to benefit your needs? You will not be able to continue this trip if you are scared of God or if you think you do not deserve to be loved. So review it, and "make your own God" today. That is the magnificent power of this program, and why it works for millions! It is a spiritual program, not a religious. We have no claims, we demand nothing of you, we are here to help and you believe what you want to believe. Freedom!
Step 2 guarantees:
IF you have completed this list, please understand:
- You are not helpless nor hopeless any longer. You know there is a solution to this malady, and itís not up to you to straighten up any longer.
- As you start to believe, you will grow stronger in faith. This strength will save you.
- The 12 steps program of OA, is the only ever lasting solution to our kind of disease, proven by millions.
- You do not have to believe in God. You can believe in anything positive, that gives you courage, strength and hope. I use to word God for the simplicity of it, in fact my higher power is pure LOVE, nothing else, but the word is so poor combined with the uniqueness of the God word (only my opinon).
- You do not have to live like you have lived, it can and will change. When you use the tools of this program and continue with abstinence one day at the time, you too, will be restored to sanity.
- Fear is a barrier, love is a gift.
Itís a wonderful gift to be here with you all, thank you so much for your honesty and willingness,