|Java Meeting Room|
|Please Help Me!|
Going to Online Meetings
The Recovery Group has a meeting each night at 9:30 pm EST in #Recovery on the Starchat Channel on IRC as well as our 24 hour #RecoveryTalk room.. Our meetings are in our own Internet Relay Chat Room (IRC). Going to a meeting in a chat room takes special IRC software, and there are several ways your computer can get this software. Below are directions for getting and using IRC software for Windows computers, Macs, and Web TV. The first method is the easiest, but it is not always the most reliable way to go to meetings. If you find it doesn't work for you, or if it stops working for you for some reason, use another method on this page. Before you start, you may want to print out this page so you'll have the directions close to you to follow them. Look for your computer type, and follow the steps as carefully as you can. If you run into trouble or need extra help, email our Technical Support Trusted Servant at:
email@example.com. We will be happy to help you figure out what is going wrong!
JAVA IRC FOR BEGINNERS
Java IRC works for many computers and browsers, but not for all. Try it, and if it doesn't work for you, scroll down the page and find directions for using IRC for your type of computer - Windows, Mac, or WebTV.
- Start up your web browser (Netscape, Internet Explorer, AOL, Earthlink, iCab, etc) and go to:
http://www.starchat.net/recovery/ or click on the Java Meeting Room button above at the left.
- Wait a few minutes for the page to completely load. You'll see a pink box when it's fully loaded.
- Type the nickname you want to use over the word "Recovery" (You can use the nickname "Recovery" if you are feeling shy and want to try it that way your first time.
- Click "Connect Now" at the bottom of the little window.
- You'll see a lot of print go scrolling past, then you'll see people "chatting" in the big window, and list of nicknames of people in the chatroom in the little window at the right.
- To talk, type in the one-line strip under the big window, then hit Enter or Return to send your words to the chatroom.
IRC FOR WINDOWS
Windows computers use software called mIRC. First you need to get this mIRC software from the internet. This called "downloading" it from the internet.
- DOWNLOAD MIRC:
- Start up your web browser (Netscape, Internet Explorer, AOL, or iCab) and go to http://www.mirc.com/
- On the left side, in the blue list of links, find Download mIRC and click on it.
- In the list of places to download mIRC, find the place that is closest to you and click on it. As soon as you do, it should start to download immediately. You'll see it downloading in a little box on your computer screen. If you get a message asking you to Get Info, Save, View, or Cancel, click Save or Save to disk.
- When the download box shows that the download is finished, close the little window, then close your web browser.
You're done downloading mIRC! Now you have the software you need. You're halfway there!
Next, you need to learn how to use mIRC. The first time is the hardest because you have to find a StarChat server and type in all your information. After that it's really easy. There are three basic steps for using mIRC.
- INSTALL MIRC:
- Now you need to find the mIRC program you just downloaded. It will be called mirc591t or something similar with "mirc" and some numbers. If you find its icon on your desktop, double-click on it. If you don't see it there, pull up your Start menu to Find, then over to Files or Folders. Type in the name mirc and click on Find Now. When it shows up in the Find window, double click on it in the little window to open it.
- It will start to install. Click Next, I Agree, Yes, OK, Install, etc. to any questions that might come up, and watch it install.
- When it asks if you want to Read the mIRC help file or Launch mIRC, put a check next to Launch mIRC, then click Finish.
- Click once in the line "Licensed To" to open the connection window
- CONNECT TO A STARCHAT SERVER:
- On the IRC Servers line at the top right, scroll down to StarChat
- Type in your name, your email address, a nickname you'd like to use, and an alternate nickname in case someone is already using the first one you chose
- Click on OK at the bottom
- In the new window, pull down the File menu to Connect, then wait while your computer connects you to a starchat server. You'll know you are connect when you see a lot of script fly by in the window.
- JOIN THE #RECOVERY CHANNEL:
- In the new window, on the top line that asks for the channel you want to join, type this exactly:
(Use no spaces anywhere - no space before the # sign, and no space between the #sign and the word Recovery. This is very important!)
- Click on Join at the top right
Wait a few seconds and you'll be taken straight into our online meeting room in a new box where you can see a list of people in the room at the right, and their conversation in the main window at the left. Type in the empty line at the very bottom, and hit Enter on your keyboard to send your words to the chat room. That's all it takes to join the conversation and to participate in a meeting!
IRC FOR MACS
Macintosh computers use software called Ircle. First you need to download Ircle.
- Start up your web browser (Netscape, Internet Explorer, AOL, or iCab) and go to http://www.ircle.com/download.shtml
- Scroll down the page a bit and choose a place close to you to download ircle from. If you have a newer Mac (iMac, G3, G4) click on BinHex next to your download site. If you have an older Mac (PowerPC, LC) click on MacBinary next to your site.
- Wait for a few minutes and Ircle will automatically begin to download. You'll see it downloading in a little box on your computer screen. If for some reason it doesn't begin to download within a few minutes, click on the words "If your download does not start automatically, Click here."
- Wait for several minutes while Ircle downloads.
- When the download box shows that the download is finished, you can close your web browser.
- Now you need to find the Ircle program you just downloaded and double-click on it to install it on your computer. It will be called ircle 3.0.4 US.sea or something similar. You might find it on your desktop or on your hard drive. If you can't find it quickly
- Click once on your desktop
- Pull down the File Menu to Find
- Type in "ircle" then click on the Find button
- You should see something like "ircle 3.0.4 US.sea" in the bottom part of the Find window. You might have to scroll a bit down the little window to see it.
- When you see it, double-click on it right there in the Find window (or wherever else you see it), and it will open up and start installing for you.
- Click "Continue"
- Click "Desktop"
- Click on your hard drive in the list of files
- Click "Open"
- Click "Save". This will save Ircle to your hard drive.
You're done downloading and installing Ircle! Now you have the software you need. You're halfway there!Next, you need to learn how to use Ircle. The first time is the hardest because you have to find a StarChat server and type in all your information. After that it's really easy. There are 3 basic steps for using IRCLE.
- OPEN IRCLE:
- Double click on your hard drive to open it, then double click on the Ircle file.
- Find the little globe icon called "ircle 3.0.4 US" and double click on it.
- CONNECT TO A STARCHAT SERVER:
- Pull down the Windows Menu to Connections and a new Connections window will open up.
- Click the Server button.
- In the list of servers find StarChat on the right, then scroll down to find First.OH.US.StarChat.Net on the left. Click once on this server to highlight it.
- Click the Select button in the top right corner.
- Go back to your Connections box and click once on your new StarChat server in the list of servers.
- Click the Edit button at the bottom. A new little box will open up.
- Type in the nickname you want to use and anything else you want. The nickname is the most important item.
- Click OK.
- Go back to your Connections box and click Connect at the bottom. Wait a few seconds while you get connected to the server.
- JOIN THE #RECOVERY CHANNEL:
- Go to the Commands Menu and pull down to Join. A new little window will open up.
- On the second line, Channel, type this exactly
#Recovery (without a space between # and Recovery)
- Click OK
In a few seconds and you'll pop into our online meeting room in a new box where you can see people having a conversation. Type in the little box at the bottom, and hit enter to send your words to the chat room. That's all it takes to join the conversation!When you want to quit, go to the File menu and pull down to Quit. When it asks you if you want to save your preferences, click Yes. That way you won't have to go through most of these steps the next time you come to the Recovery Chat room. It will save your server and your nickname, so you just click connect next time. Then when you want to join it will remember the name of the Recovery Room.
IRC FOR WEBTV
To access meetings on WebTV:
- Go to the Web TV home page.
- Select Community
- Select Chat
- Select Go To
- Then enter the following:
- Server: irc.starchat.net
- Port Number: 7000
- Channel (Room) Name: recovery
- Select Connect
Once you are in the room, you chat by typing the the empty box at the bottom of the chat screen, then choose Send or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to send your words to the other people.
While you're in the chat room, you can push save on your keyboard. Go to your favorities, and set a shortcut so you just push one key on the keyboard and it will automatically take you to the room.
HELP! I CAN'T GET INTO A MEETING!
If you have any trouble getting to an online meeting or following these directions, don't hesitate to email our Technical Support Trusted Servant, at RecoveryTech@TheRecoveryGroup.org. Tell us what kind of computer you use, which program you are trying to download, and what went wrong at what stage in the process. We will be happy to help you figure out what's wrong!
© Copyright 2001-2002 THE RECOVERY GROUP All rights reserved.