THE RECOVERY GROUP SPONSOR PROGRAM©
"I put my hand in yours, and together we can do what we could never do alone."
|We hope you will enjoy reading this letter
from a 12 Step Sponsor to their Sponsee.
The Recovery Group Sponsor Program is for anyone who is working the 12 Steps
and also participating in one of the Recovery Group's sharing loops. If you would
like a copy of the Sponsor Directory, please write to Sponsors@TheRecoveryGroup.org.
Be sure and give the name of your support loop. If you are not yet a member, you may
review our loops by clicking the button below.
Dear Members of our Community ~
When we build a house, we use tools. When we plant a garden, we also use tools. If we cook a meal, there are kitchen tools we use. And when we work a recovery program we use tools. There are many tools ... but one of the most important by far is Sponsorship. When The Recovery Group started the TRG Sponsor Program, the goal then and is now to see that everyone working the 12 Step Program had a sponsor .... and that they got one as soon as possible. You may ask ... "What IS a Sponsor and how do I get one?" Sponsors are Recovery Group members who are living the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions in their daily lives who are willing to share recovery with other members of our Fellowship and are committed to abstinence.
There are a number of different ways to get a Sponsor. Here are some of them:
1. Attend a face-to-face meeting of OA and find someone who has what you want.
2. Attend online 12 Step Meetings on IRC in #OARecovery and meet other compulsive eaters in real time. Listen to their shares and, perhaps, you will meet your sponsor there.
3. Join a TRG support loop and read the shares. As you find yourself looking forward to the shares of certain members, write to him or her privately and establish a dialogue. It may be that you have found a perfect match for a sponsor.
4. After you have been in your support loop for a while, write the loop and let them know you are seeking a sponsor and let the members know what kind of sponsor you're looking for and what kind of sponsee you'll be. You will receive replies and you may find your sponsor among them.
5. Encourage your loop Coordinator to start a Sponsor Directory within your loop and volunteer to be the Sponsor List keeper if she needs help.
6. Write to the Sponsor Coordinator at:
Sponsors@TheRecoveryGroup.org and request a copy of the Directory and Biographies. Be sure that you let them know which support loop you're a member of. After you have had a chance to review the members of the directory and their biographies, write several and begin sharing back and forth with them. (Please note: By design and to honor anonymity, there is no link, loop or web page where a list can be viewed. All bios are sent by email from the sponsor program coordinator.)
7. Write:RecoverySponsors@lists.TheRecoveryGroup.org and let them know you are seeking a sponsor. This is a direct email address to the TRG sponsors. By sending a letter telling about your TRG loop membership and a little bit about yourself and your needs, you may receive several replies from sponsors and choose from among them. (NOTE: This is a restricted email address and no one is on it except those TRG members who are actively taking sponsees.)
8. The Recovery Sponsor Coordinator regularly sends out the Sponsor Directory to all members of the Recovery Group. Look it over and write several and see if there's a match. There may be. We would like to suggest that you have a dialogue with your sponsor before actually asking him/her to be your sponsor. This can make for a better match in the long run.
9. Join WTS ~ Working The Steps Study and begin working the Twelve Steps of Overeaters Anonymous. WTS is a quarterly, in-depth e-mail step study. These studies begin on the first day of January, April, July and October. WTS will send you their WTS sponsor list just prior and a few times after the course begins. Since these sponsors know this program well, they can be of great value to you in your studies. Send a request for a sponsor list at any time to the WTS loop. However, if you are unable to find a sponsor on their list, please write Sponsors@TheRecoveryGroup.org for a directory and biographies of the general sponsor list.
10. Make yourself aware of TRG's Outreach Program. This is for our members who need to have a temporary one on one conversation by telephone, E-mail or Private Message and it's even possible that this may result in your finding a permanent sponsor.
11. Bookmark this page:
If someone is seriously interested in getting a sponsor, one of the above ways will result in that. And even after that is done and you and your sponsor are developing this important relationship, The Recovery Group has a loop called Sponsor-Sponsee-Talk available to discuss sponsor/sponsee issues. It may be that a Sponsor is having difficulty with a sponsee and needs to share anonymously about that with others. Receiving input representing the viewpoints of both sponsors and sponsees can help resolve issues. The same is true with a sponsee. Perhaps they need to ask a question about something their sponsor is doing and need to get the input from others. Sponsor- Sponsee-Talk is the place to do that. To maintain anonymity, please do not use personal names of either sponsors or sponsees. To join this special loop for sponsors, please send a blank email to: Sponsor-Sponsee-Talkfirstname.lastname@example.org
Good luck in finding your sponsor. It will be one of the most important things you will ever do for yourself ... and for your recovery.
In service to all,
The Recovery Group Sponsor Program Trusted Servants
TRG SPONSOR RESOURCES
The Recovery Group
The Recovery Sponsor Program
Recovery Sponsors Support Group
Recovery Sponsors Directory
Recovery Sponsors Biographies
Sponsor-Sponsees Talk Group
TRG Loop Sponsor Directories
© Copyright 1995 ~ 2012 THE RECOVERY GROUP All rights reserved